RN - Medical Oncology - 71282
- Chambersburg, PA
- Chambersburg Health Services
- Medical Oncology
- Part Time - Day
- Req #: 71282
Schedule and Location
Hours: Part Time | Day shift | 40 hours every 2 weeks
Location: Medical Oncology - 22 St. Paul Dr. Suite 100 Chambersburg, PA 17201
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate comprehensive care to persons with cancer and hematologic diagnoses and their families. Primary responsibilities include direct patient care, patient/family teaching, symptom management, counseling, and supportive role to assist the patients and their families in coping with and adjusting to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and hematologic diagnoses.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following list of duties is not intended to be restrictive or all-inclusive. The fact that certain duties may not be listed does not limit the assignment of additional and/or other duties.
- Provides direct nursing care in accordance with established policies, procedures, and protocols
- Assesses treatment plans and evaluates patient care needs
- Carries out physician orders, orders lab tests, x-rays, etc., as per provider’s request. Notifies provider of any abnormal results
- Prepares and administers prescribed IV medications and chemotherapy
- Evaluates oncology patients and plans, implements, and documents nursing care
- Assists physician(s) during examinations and procedures
- Provides supportive care and administration of chemotherapy, blood components, fluid & electrolyte replacements, and other oncology treatments as prescribed
- Ability to access and administer medication and/or chemotherapy for patients with implanted pumps and/or caths
- Orders lab tests, x-rays, etc. as required per provider’s orders; notify provider of abnormal results
- Instructs and educates patients and families regarding medications, diet, procedures, etc.
- Assesses and coordinates patient’s treatment plan needs with members of the healthcare team (i.e. Social Workers)
- Changes dressings, cleans wounds, and monitors vital signs Knowledge, Skills, and Ability Requirements
- Possess knowledge on the effects of chemotherapy
- Ability to access ports, start peripheral IVs, and perform central line dressing changes.
- Familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within an oncology patient care setting
- Thinks critically; utilizes sound judgment; promptly reports potential patient safety risks to provider and/or manager
- Demonstrates good organizational skills in the preparation of daily work schedules and the assignment of duties and responsibilities
- Ability to effectively work with and through physicians, subordinates, customers, and other personnel in a cooperative, collaborative manner in order to improve patient care outcomes
- Ability to efficiently and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, patient care environment
- Demonstrates ability to promote quality improvement through development and maintenance of standards
- Ability to maintain professional conduct in all work-related and/or emergent situations
- Experience working with computer systems
- Primarily performed in a well-illuminated, climate-controlled, indoor, smoke-free business office environment within the facilities of the Medical Oncology Department, Chambersburg Health Services, Summit Physician Services, and/or of Summit Health.
- May be required to travel to other facilities in order to attend meetings, training sessions, etc.
- Scheduling hours: Primarily Monday – Friday during normal business hours. Work demands may require alternative and/or additional working hours based upon patient, departmental and organizational needs.
Associate’s degree in Nursing required. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) preferred
Minimum of two (2) years working as a Registered Nurse required. Two (2) years hematology/oncology experience preferred. Must have the ability to start peripheral IVs and perform central line dressing changes.
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse in PA required or eligibility for PA RN licensure required. Current CPR required.
- Chemotherapy certification required. OCN (Oncology Certified Nurse) preferred.