Referral Specialist I
- York, PA
- WellSpan Medical Group
- Referral Center
- Full Time - Day
- Clerical and Administrative
- Req #: 70499
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor-Contact Center, performs a variety of support functions for each assigned practice including, but not limited to, scheduling, insurance verification, obtaining authorizations and referrals and record management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedules patient appointments with specialty providers including correct processing of necessary referral forms and transfer of patient information.
- Ensures patient confidentiality.
- Manages the insurance referral process according to policy. Keeps staff current on changes.
- Reviews patient insurance to obtain authorizations for diagnostic testing, genetic labs, DME and medications.
- Provides insurance company with clinical information necessary to secure authorizations.
- Communicates with clinical team when authorization is unable to be obtained.
- Maintains referral record in electronic medical record.
- Minimum Experience:
- 1 – 2 years of medical insurance experience or experience obtaining authorizations and referrals from insurance companies; medical front office experience preferred
- Minimum Education:
- High School or G.E.D.
- Required Courses:
- Medical terminology within 6 months of hire