On-Call/Switchboard Specialist I
- York, PA
- WellSpan Health
- Switchboard Operator
- Part Time - Evening
- Clerical and Administrative
- Req #: 70361
Under general supervision of the Supervisor-On-Call/Switchboard Services and Manager-WSH Access, performs a variety of support functions including, but not limited to, interviewing patients, telephone management of both internal and external calls, scheduling/canceling appointments. Evaluates caller needs and determines appropriate action. Initiates appropriate response personnel for various emergency (e.g. heart arrest, fire and trauma calls) and disaster situations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answers and manages a high volume of fast paced incoming phone calls. Provides exceptional service and to all internal and external customers by identifying and addressing the need in a professional, positive, and caring manner.
- Safeguards Protected Health Information (PII) and follows HIPPA guidelines.
- Uses computerized phone management software to route incoming and outgoing calls using multiple communication methods between visitors, callers, staff, patients, and patients’ families.
- Serves as an answering service for multiple WellSpan Medical Group Practices and Hospital Departments. Maintains on-call lists for Hospital Departments in accordance with Hospital policy.
- Contacts scheduled on-call personnel/provider when needed using appropriate protocol.
- Enters and maintains detailed information on confidential records for patients in various computer systems.
- Relays medical information to the clinical team to allow them to provide exceptional patient care.
- Corresponds with clinical teams and physician via the computer system with necessary patient information.
- Cancels/Schedules Medical Group appointments accurately at the request of the patients following predefined protocol.
- Completes a variety of paging requests per established protocol. Reassigns pagers when requested and ensures pagers are forwarded correctly.
- Verifies that monitoring equipment is always functioning properly.
- Handles and alerts appropriate emergency personnel for Code & Emergency calls such as heart arrests, trauma, disaster and fire following established procedures and protocols.
- Utilizes various on-line resources to locate public information to assist helping callers with requests/inquiries.
- Minimum Experience:
- :3-6 months customer service. Previous call center experience is preferred.
- Minimum Education:
- :High School or G.E.D.
- Excellent interpersonal/communications skills; above average verbal skill is required to communicate with the public. Ability to remain calm in potential high-stress emergency situations. Ability to work independently, as well as work as a team player. Required knowledge of basic computer skills.