Behavioral Health Technician - Ephrata Behavioral Health Unit - 7a-7p
- Ephrata, PA
- Ephrata Community Hospital
- Behavioral Health Services
- Full Time - Day
- Behavioral Health
- Req #: 67702
Under general supervision, provides assessment, support, and intervention to clients based on biopsychosocial needs. Offers age-appropriate quality care based on interactions with clients including activities of daily living and monitoring and maintaining patient safety on the unit. On a daily basis, monitors client mental status and progress towards goals. Facilitates activity, educational, and therapeutic groups as assigned. Completes consults of Behavioral Health patients in the emergency department in consultation with the psychiatrist.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse completes and documents an initial database upon admission, including mental status, emotional status, past history, and current symptoms. Assists in symptom recognition and reduction throughout the patient’s hospitalization.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse reviews and documents on the patient treatment plan including revisions and individualization in collaboration with the charge nurse and treatment team.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse provides facilitation of patient goals, and evaluates patient responses to those goals. Assures that treatment plans of assigned patients are current, and addresses needed changes with the charge nurse.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse provides age-appropriate care as indicated, intervening with proper techniques, procedures, and safety precautions to meet individual needs of clients. Delivery of care is given in accordance with established policies and State Mental Health Laws.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse educates patients, family, and significant others regarding psychiatric diagnoses, relapse prevention, community supports, and stress management.
- Ensures that voluntary and involuntary commitment papers are completed, and explains patient rights to clients as indicated. Completes voluntary and involuntary commitment papers as needed.
- Orients patients to the unit upon admission, including grievance procedures.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse provides therapeutic 1:1 interactions with patients as indicated documenting progress towards goals.
- Assumes activity therapy duties to include assessments, updates, and activities/groups when assigned.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse contributes results and findings of admission assessment and observations from daily assessment of patients at treatment team meetings and individually to other professional staff.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse provides and documents information on the patients’ strengths, needs, and treatment goals in regards to intervention.
- Provides leadership/co-leadership in group and unit activities.
- Gathers referral information for potential admissions and communicates this to the charge nurse.
- Serves as a liaison to other staff in the Hospital, providing assistance and information, when called upon to address issues in Mental Health within the Hospital.
- Demonstrates the use of de-escalation, mediation, and alternatives when intervening with patients. Assists in physical intervention as trained.
- Shares knowledge, and acts as a preceptor for new employees.
- Responds to requests from the Emergency Room or outpatient offices for assistance in evaluating individuals with mental health concerns. This includes providing information to the on call psychiatrist, consulting with other Behavioral Health providers, completing clinical reviews with insurance companies to assure pre-certification, assuring placement to other facilities, arranging outpatient appointments, and facilitating admissions based on assessment data.
- Demonstrates a team approach to patient care under the direction/supervision of the charge nurse.
- Preferred Experience:
- Preferred Experience1 year of experience in a clinical position on a mental health setting OR 2 years or more experience as a Behavioral Health Technician in an inpatient mental health setting. Will consider students who are enrolled in recreational therapy, social work, psychology, human services or other related field.
- Preferred Education:
- Bachelors degree program in Recreational Therapy, Psychology, Social work, Human Services or related field
- Required Certification:
- BLS certification
- Skills: Ability to assist with daily living needs