Patient Financial Specialist I - Customer Service and Collections
- York, PA
- WellSpan Health
- Customer Service and Collectio
- Full Time - Day
- Clerical and Administrative
- Req #: 64766
Works under direct supervision. Represents the System in a professional manner, using good customer service practices in the performance of the following duties: Is responsible for the electronic or manual billing and maintenance of patient accounts. Performs a variety of functions including, but not limited to, account follow-up, answering inquiries, resolving problems and interacting with third party payers and patients to achieve payment of accounts in accordance with current government and payer regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Corrects financial and biographical information that has been in properly entered into the system.
- Performs various functions to complete and expedite the billing process including, but not limited to, completing deposit process including batching and scanning of EOB’s and correspondence, recording patient identification data and physician diagnosis, investigating charges, correcting and updating data, preparing the claim to bill, posting payments, performing AR follow up on denials, and all other billing functions as assigned.
- Bills to third party payers via electronic or manual processes.
- Reviews accounts and coordinates with appropriate departments on accounts requiring precertification, preauthorization, referral forms and other requirements related to managed care.
- Reviews accounts and maintains contact with third parties to ensure timely payments. Makes written and/or verbal inquiries to third party payers to reconcile patient accounts. Follows up accounts until zero balance or turned over for collection.
- Reviews third party payer payments and investigates accounts not paid as expected. Takes appropriate corrective action to include follow up, rebilling, and/or adjustment of contractual allowances.
- Answers all inquiries regarding patient accounts.
- Interprets and explains to patients and their families’ charges, services, and hospital policy regarding payment of bills.
- Resolves billing problems and/or receives insurance updates.
- Processes and distributes copies of billings as required.
- Researches credit balance accounts. Refunds overpayments to patient, guarantor or third party payer.
- Receives and processes incoming charges. Enters data into mainframes, PC's and/or microcomputers. Reconciles daily cash and verifies account balances. Reconciles electronic payments and computer generated reports.
- Minimum Experience:
- 3 - 6 months
- Minimum Education:
- High School or G.E.D.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills