Summer 2021 Nurse Extern Program
Program dates: June 7 - August 7, 2021
Extern Orientation: June 7 - 11, 2021
9- week program
8- week preceptor clinical experience (2 - 4 week rotations)
4- day hospital orientation
1:1 experienced RN preceptor.
36hours per week including weekends and holidays (will follow preceptor schedule)
Paid clinical experience
Start date & WellSpan Orientation: June 7, 2021
PA Child Abuse & FBI fingerprint clearances required
Under supervision of the registered nurse, and as a fully functioning member of the patient care team, provides direct care to patients by performing a variety of duties, including assisting with data collection, provision of care, completion of selected therapeutic interventions, and documentation of care provided for a specified group of patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides information needed by the registered nurse to coordinate the care and discharge planning for the patient and family.
- Provides general nursing care and personal care assistance to patients, including bathing, dressing, eating, changing bed linens and bed pans and positioning.
- Assists in the preparation and transportation of patients for tests, procedures, etc.
- Monitors patient condition levels; reports changes to the appropriate individuals.
- Obtains and documents patient vital signs, including temperature, blood pressure, weight, respiration, pulse, pain, and department-specific requirements.
- Performs selected procedures if demonstrated competency during formal Nurse Extern Program (If Nurse Extern Program completed at medical facility other than York Hospital, skills checklist/competency verification must be provided), such as catheterization, nasogastric tube insertion and care, wound care, administration of tube feedings, enema administration and ostomy care.
- Sets up and removes equipment and supplies; ensures equipment is functioning properly and stored appropriately.
- Performs EKGs and Point-of-Care testing which may include blood glucose, hemoccult and specific gravity testing.
- Runs special errands as required. Responds to light calls.
- Ensures patient rooms, nursing areas, supply carts, etc. are stocked with appropriate items at required levels.
- Maintains par levels of supplies and equipment on assigned unit(s). Notifies supervisor when reorder points are reached.
Must meet the following criteria:
o Currently enrolled in an accredited nursing program
o Must be in senior year; graduating December 2021 or Spring 2022
Must submit the following as an attachment in addition to the online application:
o Cover letter and professional resume
o AHA or ARC BLS certification
o Unofficial transcripts including most recent semester completed