Registration Specialist I
- Stevens, PA
- Ephrata Community Hospital
- ECH Patient Registration
- Full Time - Day
- Clerical and Administrative
- Req #: 64340
Works under direct supervision. Represents the System in a professional manner, using good customer service practices in the performance of the following duties: Is primarily responsible for admitting inpatients and/or registering outpatients. Performs a variety of functions including, but not limited to, interviewing, preparing admitting and other related forms, assigning rooms for inpatients (as appropriate), and preparing information and charges for billing purposes. Also performs a variety of functions related to cashiering and insurance verification.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts patient interview, in person or by telephone, to collect accurate financial, biographic and demographic information for admission or registration.
- Explains financial requirements to the patient or responsible party and collects deposits or deductibles as required. Explains insurance coverages and requirements for precertification/preauthorization, as applicable.
- Prepares pre-admission and admitting forms, facilitates room transfers, prepares admitting and discharge reports.
- Reviews pre-admissions and admissions to ascertain and verify insurance coverage and eligibility.
- Collects and reviews hospital registrations to ensure accurate financial and demographic information has been obtained and properly entered into appropriate information systems.
- Makes bed assignments based on patient preference, condition and diagnosis. Evaluates transfers of patients from ICUs, TCUs and specialty care areas.
- Receives payments from patients and issues receipts. Works with the patient while investigating overpayments and researching other outstanding accounts for additional resource funding.
- Reconciles daily cash and verifies account balances.
- Compiles and distributes information regarding patients' personal, insurance and financial status. Provides appropriate forms to billing and other departments.
- Reviews and prepares admitting and death or birth records to ensure compliance with medical-legal requirements.
- Verifies insurance benefits assigned to the organization to determine if insurance coverage meets appropriate standards. Corresponds with patients to acquire required authorizations and assignments of benefits.
- Maintains the insurance master file and updates as necessary.
- Works with appropriate sources to coordinate precertification requirements with PROs, HMOs and other contractual third parties.
- Minimum Experience:
- 3 - 6 months
- Minimum Education:
- High School or G.E.D.
- Required Courses:
- 6-8 week in-house registration procedures and medical terminology courses
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills