Patient Services Specialist I
- Gettysburg, PA
- WellSpan Health
- GH Emergency Registration
- Part Time - Evening
- Clerical and Administrative
- Req #: 63701
Under the direct supervision of the Registration Supervisor, performs a variety of functions related to the coordination of care to emergency department patients. Acts as receptionist for patients and visitors and serves as central contact person for telephone calls and distribution point for communication. Registers all Emergency Department Patients. Performs a variety of functions which impact the emergency department coding and billing process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts patient interview to collect accurate financial, biographic and demographic information for emergency department admissions and/or registrations. Records insurance co-payments and treatment consent and authorization documentation. Scans insurance cards and photo identification into patients’ medical record.
- Collects patient insurance copayments and/or liabilities at time of service.
- Greets, directs and assists patients, visitors, physicians and ancillary department staff.
- Answers telephones using personable etiquette. Answers inquiries by providing accurate information or forwarding callers to the appropriate resource. Identifies emergency messages, directs information to the appropriate personnel and maintains confidentiality.
- Enters and/or retrieves data from established computer files using knowledge of various computer applications designed for functions such as patient management, patient census, registration, billing, bed tracking, etc. Serve as a knowledgeable resource for multiple applications such as EPIC, Promise, etc. Keeps current with system/application upgrades and changes. Offers/provides assistance to others in navigation.
- Performs a variety of duties related to the creation and maintenance of the patient medical record in a manner which expedites registration, admission, discharge, transfer, etc. Performs data entry, filing and photocopying in accordance with the appropriate policies.
- Communicates delays/difficulties in providing services or alteration of routine. Acknowledges and responds to patient alarms and notifies appropriate care provider.
- Consults with the appropriate clinical and non-clinical staff to resolve issues and concerns from patient medical records, ancillary department results and patient family inquiries.
- Orders and stocks supplies, and department as needed on an ongoing basis, if applicable.
- Monitors security cameras and facilitates flow of patients and visitors through the department via the doorbells into the Emergency Department, if applicable.
- Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment, hardware and supplies.
- Minimum Experience:
- :3 - 6 months.
- Req Course(s)/Training:Completion of EPIC Registration Classes; 3-4 weeks hands-on training in the department; Medical Terminology (Optional).
- Minimum Education:
- :High School or G.E.D.
- Physical Demands:
- :Prolonged standing/walking.
- Occasionally lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patients.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills; excellent computer skills and the ability to use various software applications at once.
- Other:Annual Hospital Account Verification of 90% or greater.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.