Nurse Manager - York Hospital - Neuroscience ICU/Medical ICU
This job posting is no longer active.
Full-time/80 hours biweekly
Under the general supervision of the Director-Clinical Services, manages the daily operations and work activities of professional nursing and nursing support staff on assigned unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recommends staffing levels as per professional organizations’ staffing guidelines. Structures an adequate staffing mix of competent personnel for all shifts by supervising and approving the development, preparation, and maintenance of staffing schedules that meet department/unit needs and ANA staffing principles.
- Ensures that appropriate nursing standards and practices are developed and implemented as a result of research and non-research findings. Maintain established policies and procedures, objectives, quality assessment, safety, environmental, and infection control standards as per National Patient Safety goals, agency, and state regulations.
- Identifies patient/client needs and develops quality programs to meet those needs; uses outcomes data to direct quality improvement action plans. Encourages staff to resolve patient/family concerns in a timely manner, and assists staff when necessary.
- Monitors all high risk and complicated cases; ensures appropriate nursing interventions are implemented.
- Initiates or makes recommendations for personnel actions using a Just Culture model and as per the System’s Human Resources policies.
- Ensures staff education in appropriate communication to protect patient confidentiality. Advocates social/professional equity among staff; promotes culturally congruent patient care.
- Acts as a role model/mentor to charge nurses and staff; creates an empowered shared decision-making environment; promotes staff participation in Shared Decision-making activities; establishes a vision/goal for succession planning.
- Consults with other specialists as required and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure optimal patient care.
- Participates in patient rounds.
- Ensures and monitors staff participation in patient rounds as part of the delivery care model to optimize collaboration between nursing and medical staff.
- Collaborates with appropriate departments to ensure proper care and timely maintenance of department/entity equipment and supplies.
- Attends administrative meetings and actively participates on nursing committees.
- Performs other related duties as identified.
- Interviews applicants with staff to select best match for patient population and unit culture; evaluates staff performance; monitors continuing education, oversees the competency testing of staff (as applicable) and orientation.
- Develops budget(s) for the department/unit/entity and allocates funds within budget(s) to accomplish objectives. Monitors variance against budget(s).
- Ensures that unit strategic plan, vision, and goals are aligned with the System/nursing strategic plan, vision, mission, and goals; Acts as liaison between nursing administration and medical staff; Assists the staff in establishing and maintaining positive, constructive communication in a collaborative model between other units/departments within the System when solving issues.
- Coordinates and integrates services within the department/service line/entity, with other departments/service lines/entities, and with the System's primary functions. Participates in the selection of outside services (if needed).
- Continuously assesses and improves the department/service line/entity/System's performance. Maintains appropriate quality control/assessment programs (if applicable).
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span of the assigned patient population; Assesses and interprets age specific data for patient population and oversees the delivery of appropriate age specific treatments.
- Demonstrates a commitment to patient, visitor and staff by: complying with all applicable safety regulations; knowledge of the impact of medical errors and methodology that will lead to reduction of errors; reporting actual and potential errors, as well as hazardous conditions; identifying opportunities to standardize processes and "error proof" systems that will lead to increased safety; and participating in safety education programs and root cause analyses as required.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, conferences, professional organizations and workshops.
- Provides outstanding service to all customers; fosters teamwork; and practices fiscal responsibility through improvement and innovation.
- Other combinations of formal education, training and experience may be considered.
- Minimum Experience:
- 3 - 5 years
- Req Cert/Registration and current RN license in PA; CPR certification; Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- Pref Cert/RegistrationCertification as a Nurse Executive
- Minimum Education:
- Bachelor's Degree