Certified Peer Specialist - Lebanon/Dauphin - Days
- Mount Gretna, PA
- WellSpan Philhaven
- Peer Support Services
- Part Time - Day
- Behavioral Health
- Req #: 57882
Under the general supervision of the Program Director, contributes in a peer support capacity to facilitate recovery and enhance wellness by sharing his/her personal/practical experience and first-hand knowledge to the team and clients. Provides expertise about the recovery process, symptom management, and the persistence required by patients to have a satisfying life. Serves as a role model for recovery for both staff and peers and partners with peers in developing recovery tools and building support networks.
Duties and Responisbilities
- Draws on common experiences as a peer to provide guidance and encouragement to patients to take responsibility and actively participate in their own recovery.
- Assists designated peers with rehabilitation social support, advocacy, educational and vocational mentoring, and self-maintenance.
- Provides side-by-side support and coaching to help patients socialize, such as going with a patient to the grocery store, movies, library, etc. during program hours of operation which may require use of staff’s personal vehicle.
- Supports patient participation in community self-help groups.
- Coaches or teaches basic individual living skills, such as food preparation, meal planning, laundry, bill payment and personal hygiene.
- Provides education about symptoms of mental illness to assist patients in understanding their mental illness and identifying relapse symptoms.
- Works with patients in supporting their individual choice and preference regarding medications, under the direction of the physician and nursing staff.
- Promotes participation in Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) and Psychiatric Advance Directives (PAD) planning among peers.
- Partners with peers to create, review and attain goals on the Individual Recovery Plan.
- Completes necessary documentation for each peer encounter (i.e. service activity, contact sheets, etc.) within 48 hours of encounter.
- Completes monthly log of services provided.
- Acquires knowledge or resources in assigned county/counites while maintaining an excellent working relationship with all providers.
- Acts as a liaison with other community agencies/groups, funding sources and businesses that relate to the services provided to peers.
- Participates in the on-call system according to WellSpan Philhaven ACT policy.
- Minimum Experience:
- 1 – 2 years
- Min Field Of ExpertiseExperience in navigating/personal knowledge and experience in the mental health system; professional office work experience
- Req Cert/RegistrationCertification as a Peer Support Specialist; or certification eligible
- Req Course(s)/TrainingMust provide clearance per the Child Protective Services Law amended by PA Act 33 of 1985
- Minimum Education:
- High School Degree/GED
- Excellent human relations and oral/written communication skills; Must have valid driver’s license and qualify for WellSpan driving privileges; Must obtain PA driver’s license in accordance with PA laws if license upon hire is out-of-state; .Knowledge of and ability in the care and support of individuals in a specific age group.